I LOVE talking about blocks, studying blocks, and playing with them in Photoshop... I am always on a quest for great blocks and trying to figure out what makes them so great ... So I started this companion blog that will be devoted to this quest. But also check out my regular blog at http://olderrose.blogspot.com

Monday, October 15, 2012

Choices. choices, choices............for Diane M.

For her CQJP Diane M. is using ties to make fan blocks.... lots of fan blocks and they are just gorgeous.  At the retreat she was lamenting the difficulty of picking out a background color.  She wants to use it as a wall hanging... Even with a design wall you still need a large area and lots of fabric to see the entire project.

So I offered to put them in photoshop and try out some different colors for her background... I wasn't concerned with the arrangement of the blocks.  She'll have to give that some more thought after a decision is made on the background...

.
I used the color picker feature.  You hover the pointer over colors in the image and it gives you an exact color match... I love this feature and use it a lot.  Personally I liked the blue backgrounds the best and I'm not a blue person...  As a wall hanging I like the lighter, mood-elevating combination below...and I think the lighter background with fancy quilting in the empty triangles would make the blocks appear larger... They are truely gorgeous...



Or maybe play with inner borders? A bit busy....

Now let's hear from Diane...

9 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Gerry for doing this. I really like the white background, it seems to make the blocks look a bit softer and delicate. My second choice would be the dark maroon, one of the middle photos looks like a maroon/purple, and I think it would bring out the darker colours in the blocks.

    How would the arrangement look if it were narrower across and longer? Feel free to use blocks twice if you need extra. I still have two blocks to finish.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. These fans are lovely. I like either the blue or white background. It's going to be beautiful! Congratulations Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fans Diane made, and I'm so glad you're back at doing the Block Talk blog. It's such a great CQing lesson every time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the lightest blue or the white as they seem to bring out the colours of the fans. I find the darker backgrounds draw my eyes away from the fans and its them I want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the lightest blue or the white as they seem to bring out the colours of the fans. I find the darker backgrounds draw my eyes away from the fans and its them I want to see.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will be interesting to see what Diane chooses - I like the darker backgrounds personally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the blues also. (-; Good luck Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me loving Blue would choose the blues - but boy does Diane have a big choice ahead of her - her blocks are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well it's Christmas Eve 2012, and I've made my choice of background colour. It's going to be cream. The empty triangles will be embroidered lightly with fans in subtle colours.

    ReplyDelete