I LOVE talking about blocks, studying blocks, and playing with them in Photoshop... I am always on a quest for great blocks and trying to figure out what makes them so great ... So I started this companion blog that will be devoted to this quest. But also check out my regular blog at http://olderrose.blogspot.com

Friday, December 12, 2014

Challenge Yourself - Post #3

If doing a block a month in the CQJP2017 sounds daunting, keep in mind that the only person you can disappoint is yourself and I'm sure that will be because you are requiring too much of yourself. Many people start and can't finish for some reason, some take more than a year, and some finish and never do anything with the blocks.  But anything you do is a step in the right direction...

If the block a month is too much for this year, make one  10-12" block and do a little bit on it each month.. Then you will end up with a sampler Challenge block like my purple one.  How many times have you looked at a CQ and admired something on it and mean to try it but never do... Here would be your chance...  That's what nice about Pinterest is that you can pull up   bunches of CQ work and find ideas in minutes.  The hard part will be limiting the list.

And I do say list... you must keep photos or a list of these goals or they slip away.  As I start piecing my blocks I am starting my list...  One of the things that will be at the top of the list is to use all specialty threads and ribbons I never bought and never use.  When I saw this piece by Anne Nicolas-Whitney my eye immediately zeroed in on the flowers upper right using organza ribbon.  I have LOTS of it I acquired in a lot purchase from e-bay and always searching for ways to use it... This will be on my list.  But just look some more at this block and I am willing to bet you can instantly see many things you could put on your list to try.  Her work is extraordinary.  And did you see the clever use of French knots and rick rack at the bottom...

My students are focusing on exploring rick rack techniques this winter and I compiled this little worksheet for them  I'm hoping this will inspire them to use some of these and find more of their own..

3 comments:

  1. Thank you very much for your post and taking some of the fear out of "just begin with needle and thread". I love your CQ art. Blessings and Bliss...

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a beautiful block so much to see and admire

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought ric rac would look so pretty and fancied up. Thanks for the inspiration

    ReplyDelete